8.21.2009

Featured Artist: Spa

Stage Name: Spa
Real Name: RJ
Hometown - Hackettstown, NJ
http://www.myspace.com/spathegod

Since a youth, Spa, explored tape-decks and radio stations for music... not just any music; but great music. From day one; Hip Hop became his love. Competitive spirit and the idea of being the best; combine to create what Spa considers "the game; the sport" of hip hop. Which was the most intriguing part to him then... and continues to be his favorite part now. Spa considers his introduction as an emcee; a natural progression of his love for Hip Hop. He spit his first rhyme over one of his favorite beats: "1,2,3" from the Lost Boyz' Legal Drug Money album. Spa develops with every song and every verse; a true perfectionist. His search for perfection within himself is directly related to his love for great music... Spa holds high standards for not only music in general... but also applies these standards to his own work within the booth.

Q&A

How did you come up with your stage name?

a few people take claim to the creation of the name Spa, but basically I had a headband that said the word spa on it (it was a promotional headband from the brand of water called "spa") and the name kinda stuck from there...

Has it always been this name? If not; what were some earlier names?

I think I was gonna use Avalanche at first, lol

How many albums do you have and what are their names?

I have dropped 2 complete mixtapes, first one called The Mixtape which I go in on and really let people know the lyrics are real... then came Stop The Presses which was more serious and I recently released an album with my boy MCMF called NJ Transit which we are really pleased with and we have gotten some great feedback on. My album Raise Your Glass has been a career in the making and is finally almost done.

At this current moment; what is your favorite part of hip hop?

same as always, competitive spirit of, it's the game, the sport, the idea of being one of the best... lotta diversity now too, so many types of hip-hop.

At this current moment; what do you hate about hip hop?

fickle fan base

Best Emcee now: (and why)

I'd say Slaughterhouse as a whole lyrically is the illest right now, Royce Da 5'9 specifically is so dope Bar Exam 2 should be used as a guide on how to rap, Joell Ortiz shit is nasty as hell too...

Best Emcee 10 years ago: (and why)

Jigga hands down, I think he still may be but he takes verses off now to make complete songs, D.O.A. was a hot song but the lyrics are just okay, some tracks he is more concerned with riding the beat...

What do you hope people would say about you as an artist?

that I make good music

Worst Emcee now: (and why)

if someones wack I probably don't listen to them, I always wonder how that Baby Bash dude ends up getting songs on the radio

Worst Emcee 10 years ago: (and why)

no idea

Hardest part of hip hop for you?

trying not to DL everything!

Best all around hip hop song ever...

this is basically impossible, "electric relaxation" by Tribe

Finish these sentences:

Hip Hop should thank: the pioneers of course

When I write I: get frustrated

When you listen to my music: you will never say "that line was wack"

The track i am currently working on is: I'm workin on a whole album, Raise Your Glass, whole album is based around the theme of living life to the fullest, celebrating each day

My favorite type of track is
: a primo beat!
---
What should we look forward to from you?

a classic album

upcoming shows?

hopefully soon

upcoming songs/albums?

Raise Your Glass hoping to have it out by September, if not around Thanksgiving

Future collabs?

real excited about a track I did with my boy Praverb from VA dude has worked with some real good artists and we made a classic track called "Soundtrack" with my boy Jive on it as well...


No comments:

Post a Comment