8.25.2009

Featured Artist: Profyle

Stage Name: Profyle
Age: 25

Hometown: NYC, NJ... Nomadic
Website: www.myspace.com/profyL3

From the beginning; fate, has directed Profyl3 down every path... an artist who doesn't claim a hometown because he is on the constant move wherever the wind blows. He takes life as it comes and then turns his emotions to rhyme. A true emcee who speaks only truth and mixes his honesty with the most intriguing punch-lines and metaphors.... his evolution of emcee-ing is a direct relation to his evolution to being a man. Traced even in his stage name. When "Pro" was younger his nick name was "Low Profile", but as he morphed into a man and broke his shell; he is now an outgoing spirit known simply as Profyl3...

Q&A

How did you come up with your stage name?
Has it always been this name?
If not; what were some earlier names?

The name was actually given to me prior to rhyming. During my first year of college I developed a stoic personality. I was known as that mysterious kid. I stayed rockin a fitted, brim low and my headphones on blaring. Thus I was dubbed low profile. After a while the name shortened and my personality changed. I'm a bit more social now..

What got you into being an emcee?

Fate. The story is long and one day ill explain it but for now know this. I didn't expect for this to happen. It just did.

When did you spit your first rhyme?

I was tipsy chillin wit friends. Someone started a cypha and my boy dared me to jump in. I did and its been a dominoe effect since then.

What was the topic?

Oooo.. Wow. I dunno. I was kinda sorta drunk. But people were biggin me up after. So I guess it wasn't half bad.

What is your inspiration?

Music has always been an outlet for me and when I first started ryhmin I realized that this is the perfect way for me to channel my emotions. Since then what inspires me is a great beat. That beat that gets your mind racing with so many ideas that you just get anxious. All I wanna do is step in the booth and murder it.

At what point of your career do you feel you truly developed who you are as an artist, and what do you feel contributed to this?

Summer of 06. I was pretty much homeless so I was stayin at my boys crib for a few months. He introduced me to a rapper called buddhakai. Buddha was an older head who has had experience in the game and industry. He was truly one of the illest lyrical emcees I've eva encountered. I spit a 16 for him and he was impressed. He took me under his wing and we spent countless nights in the lab recording til 6am, then I had work at 7. That was a crazy summer. Now buddha had his own demons but brought out the best in me. That's just how he was. Selfless. He taught me so much and helped me develop my style and flow. Shout out to him.

How many albums do you have and what are their names?

I only have one Ep and its called Manifest Destiny. I have a few projects in the works.

At this current moment, what is your favorite part of hip hop?

The movement aspect of it and its elements which consists of the emcee, dj, graf head, and b-boy. Hip hop is more than just rap music. An avid hip hop head knows this but the majority of people now have forgotten. My girl put me up on the b-boy tip. I've gone to a few jams and I gotta say this, if your looking for hip-hop, all you need to do is go to one of these. Back to that one question of what inspires me. You can add that to the list.

At this current moment; what do you hate about hip hop?

I don't hate much. There are some things that I don't agree on, but why sit there hating and do nothing about it when I can just do me and love it.

Best Emcee now:

Eminem. Since he's been out he changed the game. He made it lyrical again. His last couple albums were not as great as his first 3 but I heard this freestyle he did on satelite radio.. He fuckin killed it. I was in shock cuz I hadn't heard him rhyme like this since 8 mile..haha. Also that nick cannon, mariah carrey diss was ill too. He ripped it. There are a list of emcees that I can continue on with who are underground but I don't wanna make this into a novel. Tho slaughterhouse is now one my favorite rap groups.

Best Emcee 10 years ago:

Big pun... Why you ask? No, not cause ima fellow puerto rock. But did you not hear Capital Punishment?!?!... Classic. Redman and Method man. Blackout was hot and since they just released the 2nd one, yea you can put them on as best emcees now also.

What do you hope people would say about you as an artist?

"Whoa, he's really good!!" "Did you just hear what he said?"

Worst Emcee now:

No comment

Worst Emcee 10 years ago:

I dunno.. Master p?

Hardest part of hip hop for you?

Getting heard. Even with the internet there's a lot of talent out there doing the exact same thing as I am. So trying to stick out I guess. But whateva, I just do me and make the music I love. Even if just just a handful of people recognize me and appreciate what I do, that's all I need.

Best all around hip hop song ever...

This is tough one.. Thanks mike for makin me think. @$$ hole.. Ummm.. Fu-gee-la by the fugees. Amazing album and great song. You can play that at a club and people will go ape shit. Also just lay back and kick it. All around song.

Finish these sentences:

Hip Hop should thank: I don't think hip hop should thank anything. I think we should be thanking hip hop for even existing.

When I write I: transfer words into energy.

When you listen to my music: pay attention!!

In my music: I try to grasp the listener and help them escape from there daily lives.

The track i am currently working on: its untitled. And in the works. Still needs a hook. Its featuring nolo smart. Another good artist. We each have two verses in it.

My favorite type of track is: An epic one

--

What should we look forward to from you?

Just keep your eyes and ears peeled.

upcoming shows?

Soon

upcoming songs/albums?

I'm working on a mixtape entitled and an album. Dates and names will be given later in time.
future collabs? I'm down to work with anyone as long as they have talent and do not waste my time.

Anything else?

U rock Mike.


No comments:

Post a Comment